Chemical Engineering is the engineering discipline which makes extensive use of chemical transformations in addition to physical transformations to achieve added value. Because all manufacturing involves chemical transformations in one way or another, chemical engineers are employed in virtually all manufacturing industries, from the basic chemical, materials, energy, food, pharmaceutical and microelectronics industries to the myriad consumer products industries. Students in the MS program will take a number of advanced courses in key fundamental chemical engineering areas such as transport phenomena, applied mathematics, thermodynamics, kinetics and reaction engineering. In addition, students will select a number of electives courses to develop knowledge and expertise in specialized fields such as energy engineering, materials engineering, bioengineering, environmental engineering, engineering design, and control management.
School / College
School of Engineering
2015 US News Rank : 10
Cost of Living
- Five fellowships available to Master’s students studying Chemical Engineering, Materials Science.
- These fellowships each provide $30,000 per year applicable to tuition only. Nominees are selected by the departments from each incoming class of Master’s students.
- A minimum of 28 units is required to earn the MS in Chemical Engineering degree.
- Required core courses: 15 units
- Required seminar courses: 1 unit (0, 1 unit for two semesters)
- Elective courses (must be approved by Department), at least one course must be from the department: 12 units.
International Exchange & Double Degrees
Internship: a short-term (usually during the summer), supervised work experience related to your major field of study. The work is usually full-time and paid but is sometimes part-time and/or unpaid.
Research & Technical Papers
- Advanced Studies in Energy and the Environment.
- Advanced Materials.
- Nano-bio Systems.
- Advanced Computing and Simulations.
- MC Gill Foundation Composites Center.
- Center for Electron Microscopy and Microanalysis.
- Center for Photonic Technology.
- Center for Interactive Smart Oilfield Technologies.
- Corrosion and Environmental Effects Laboratory.
- Nanostructure Material & Devices Lab.
- Collaboratory for Advanced Computing and Simulations (CACS).
- Compound Semiconductor Laboratory.
Text / Exam Scores
- 100 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL (with a minimum score of 20 in each section).
- 250 or higher on the computer-based TOEFL.
- 600 or higher on the paper-based TOEFL.
Three letters of recommendation
Course Start Date
Careers & Employment News
- apply online.
- The following documents can be submitted directly through the online application system, if needed:
Three letters of recommendation.
Statement of purpose.
Viterbi Career Gateway is a career related resource dedicated to the needs of Viterbi students. This system will make it easy for you to search for engineering internship/co-op and full time jobs and give you access to information about Viterbi specific events and resources that include a customized resume builder.
For career events visit chems.usc.edu/news/events/
- Amgen Inc.
- Goldman Sachs & Co.
- Apple Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Corporation
- Bank of America Corporation
- Cognizant Business Consulting
- Mattel, Inc.
- Deloitte Consulting LLP
- OnPrem Solution Partners LLC
- eBay Inc.
- SanDisk Corporation
- Ernst & Young LLP
- Southern California Edison
- Farmers Insurance Group
- Toyota Motor Sales
- General Electric
- Wells Fargo Bank
Campus & Alumni Community
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering Office of Alumni Relations’ mission is to initiate, strengthen, and sustain long-lasting bonds between the School and its over 60,000 alumni worldwide, and to connect the School and its alumni together in mutually beneficial ways.
How to Apply
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation.
- Online Application apply online.
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.